Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mockingjay

To start off, I have not read the first two books of the Hunger Games series. Thus, this book is really standing on its own for me as a reader. When I began to read this book I had pre notions in my head about the series due to things I've heard from those who have read it. Mostly, these were not great comments. However, I was pleasantly surprised to fall for this book and become very intertwined with it. I am very curious about Katniss Everdeen's character along with that of Peeta's. I am very excited to keep reading and learn what happens to Peeta.

Many questions arise for me while reading this book because I have not read the two previous books. I get the sense that the actual 'Hunger Games' was not a good experience for any of those in it and Katniss is still trying to recover from it. Why are there these 'games?' Is it just for pure enjoyment of all the districts or the Capitol?

A particular point I like about Katniss is how she does what she wants and is very different from all those around her. District 13 has been trying to create propos about Katniss to show other districts what their Mockingjay is like. One propos takes them to a district where Katniss greets the wounded in a hospital. This later turns into disaster when there is a bombing and I believe the author does a great job at describing Katniss' quick, gut reaction to try and save those people in the hospital. I believe she is more worried about the people around herself than her own well being. This is something I can connect with very well. Obviously I am not in her situation but sometimes I run around and do so much that I realize I haven't even eaten lunch and now it is 4 o'clock. I feel a connection towards Katniss.

Katniss is her own person and one moment I really enjoyed in the reading was when she sang to the Mockingjay's in District 12. This was on page 123-124 and I thought it was unique but that song was sad and a little haunting.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where they strung up a man they say murdered three.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where the dead man called out for his love to flee.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where I told you to run, so we'd both be free.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Wear a necklace of rope, side by side with me.
Strange things do happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.


Overall, I'm very intrigued to keep reading and find out what happens next!

1 comment:

  1. I have to completely agree with you when it comes to the book I was lost because I had never read or heard of the hunger games until this class, so when we began reading the book I was completely lost, maybe it would have made more sense if I had read the first books. Then again maybe not, Im sure when Hager assigned the book she knew it wasn't necessary that we read the first books without being able to understand this one. As far as the Hunger Games go I didn't understand why they took place either or what the purpose was other than people fighting each other to the death for no reason??? Not sure, but I felt the same way when reading "The Left Hand of Darkness" I didn't understand the purpose of the book except for the heck of doing it, but it helps us to understand the different literary types. Its not exactly made for us to understand but for us to form our ideas, and opinions around it. I never fully got into Katniss' character or the book at all for that matter but I am coming to understand the point of it all. See how much its made us think? That was the purpose.
    -Jae

    ReplyDelete