Monday, March 26, 2012

Lissar & Ash

  After Lissar's traumatic experience with her father, the King, we as readers see her go on a journey to find who she is once again. At first, all she knows is that she wants to get away from the place where something haunting happened. As the story goes on we realize that Lissar has little, if no recollection of who she used to be. Flashes of memories come and go of her former life. When reading Lissar's journey through the forest and bearing the winter in the cabin Ash led them to, I felt anxious and couldn't stop reading because I wanted to see them both make it through. For awhile I thought the King would come back and find her in the cabin before the Lady came. As Lissar continues her journey to the 'yellow city' she meets the royal family and gets a job as a nursemaid watching over the prince's new litter of puppies. I believe Ash got her to this point, just like Ash has helped her through everything. My prediction is that Lissar and Prince Ossin will fall in love. This has a lot to do with Ash as well. Lissar was not just noticed for her exotic looks and bare feet when she met the royal family but also for the curly haired animal that stood to her side. The Prince automatically sat a little straighter when he saw Ash.
  Overall, Ash has played a big part in this story so far. Ash has protected Lissar as best as she could, helped Lissar on their journey through the forest by providing food and now she has led Lissar to her future husband (or so I believe). Ash is the magical part behind this book. She has such a keen sense of what Lissar needs. One question I asked myself while reading was about the possibility that Lissar's mother, now dead, feels guilty for neglecting Lissar and came back in the form of Ash to help her on her way. The Queen could also be The Lady but I believe that is another form of magic. I can't wait to see what happens next!

I found a fan based trailer that was made for this book, watch at your own risk! It may be a bit of a spoiler if you haven't read the full assignment yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ui8rKO1lKU


3 comments:

  1. I love Ash too! Ash gives Lissar someone to lean onto, but someone to grow with. Lissar makes me think of an orphan or maybe an only child, she latches onto the one person who cares for her and loves her no matter what. Ash really helps move the book along and gives it more depth and personality, because not only does Lissar have to worry about herself, she has someone to care for. One grows thru that experience; becoming responsible for someone. In a way I think Ash experienced it as well, she had to grow to save the one person she loves in the world. When they are traveling thru the woods it reads as if Ash is another human, we can read her emotions and thoughts almost just as easy as Lissar’s. I enjoy that aspect of the book (and I am sure all us dog lovers do.)

    As for Queen coming back in the form of Ash….I am not really sure what I think. Part of me wants to say YES! The Queen should feel guilty and of course it is her, but the other part of me feels she wouldn’t care. That if she did come back in the form of Ash it would ruin the book, that the Queen was beautiful sure but the story sets up the standoffish we have with the Queen and King and I feel that coming back as Ash just wouldn’t be possible, like she doesn’t have a caring part of her, except for what was expected of her to continue to be the most beautiful woman in the 7 kingdoms. I guess it is up for debate!

    http://puppydogweb.com/gallery/curlycoatedretriever/curlycoatedretriever_lewandowski1.jpg

    Sorta what I think Ash looks like. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great picture you found of your view of Ash! That is pretty similar to the image I have of her in my head. I enjoy how you say that both Lissar and Ash take care of one another. This is very true because more so than not, I think Ash takes care of Lissar. Lissar is there to lean on Ash, feed her, and love her. However, Ash is both a physical and mental support for Lissar. I do not believe Lissar would have made it without her. You are also correct by saying that Ash's character makes the book flow more easily and gives it depth. If Ash was not a part of the book, I think I'd find myself not very interested. The connection between the two of them is too strong and as readers I feel like we connect to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does it mean then that one of our primary identifications in the novel is with an animal rather than a human? How might it ask us to re-arrange our ideas of the consciousness of animals?

    ReplyDelete